So, during the unexpected break of no school due to weather and holidays last week, I had time to reconsider my skincare regimen. Looking at my current spread makes me wonder…are they still working for me?
I’ve been with Clinique for more than a decade and have stockpiled on some fave items but I’m not liking the condition my skin is in.
Thus another reason for me to search the web. I then chanced upon the existence of Subscription boxes. Currently, there are 4 I am aware of locally:
The above subscription boxes are are all on beauty products. You subscribe for your choice of a month to 3 months delivery of beauty products for a specified amount ranging from Php 500.00 – 1,599.00 and you will receive a box filled with famous beauty brands and also some up and coming ones in sample sizes and full sizes. You won’t know what you will receive but you are assured that the total price of the items in the box will be more than the amount you paid for.
I have been lurking at the websites of above-mentioned subscription boxes but haven’t taken the plunge yet. Why? Well, I am not very adventurous when it comes to products I put on my face. When I need a specific item, I research it to bits comparing it to other similar products and learn which one will give me the best value for money. Although receiving a big box full of goodies will tickle me pink inside, I might only like 1 or 2 items to justify the moolah I spent for it. But I’m not totally closing my doors to this concept.
So, here comes Sample Room. This site offers new members with 100 points which they can use to get samples of products they wants to try. The products featured has an assigned points rating. You may only get a maximum of 3 products within your 100 points per transaction. Then once you all ordered for them, you pay for the shipping fee of about Php 100.00. Once you received them, you may road-test the product and send your review to Sample Room so when approved they will return to you the points you used for that product. Then you may make another round of orders on samples again. Neat right?
Okay, this idea of sampling is more my cup of tea. I get to control the products I order. It’s like asking for a trial size from the manufacturer before you take the actual plunge of buying the actual size at retail price. Sometimes, the sample size is the actual selling size in the market which is great but entails also higher points. So you need to be a VIP Member (for Php 599.00) to avail of more stuff you might like. I still get this and understand the extra expense. Have I piqued your interest now?
All these being said, I signed up for Sample Room and became a VIP Member right away. Why? All the good samples have high points which I can only avail as a VIP member. Oh, and to be quite honest, it was kind of a bummer when all the great products were out of stock but they do restock so if you are diligent in checking their website every now and then, like in my case 2x a day, then you will get dibs on the new stocks.
I made my first transaction with the following products:
Colour Collection Gluta Whitening BB Cream SPF 30
– I have never tried a BB cream yet and would like to know what the fuss is all about
– colour of the BB cream is a more natural shade of brown for the Filipina complexion
– product came in full size of 40 ml. which costs approximately Php 599.00 in retail
Colour Collection Vitamin E Lipstick – Pinkish Nude (Sheer)
– I need a very hydrating lipstick to give variety to my loyal Clinique Chubby Stick
– I like that this is a sheer shade since I’m not too vavavoom with lip colors
– product size is actual full size of 4g which costs Php 330.00 in retail
Pevonia Enzyme- Spherides Peeling Cream
– I guess I need a dose of micro peel to renew my skin
reviews sated great results so far
– sample size is 5 ml. which costs approximately Php 374.00; full size is 50 ml. costing Php 3,740.00
Experience on Sample Room service
The Up Side:
1. Response to emails are instantaneous when you’re emailing them during office hours. Realistically, maybe a lag of 10 minutes. You won’t die waiting for 10 minutes so it’s an excellent waiting time for email response. They respond right away, are courteous, helpful, and straight forward with their communication.
2. Registration is eazy breezy. You know, you just need basic knowledge with web surfing. If you were able to sign up for a free email address at Yahoo!, then sign-up here is a no-brainer.
I paid for my VIP membership August 28 in the morning, got my 1000 points credit after an hour. Ordered my items right away. Paid for my shipping in the evening and voila! Got my items at my doorstep on August 30 noontime via Xend. I guess if I have paid for my shipping by noon that day I could have received my parcel the following day. And to think I expected my package to arrive within 2 weeks, this feels like instant gratification! Woohoo!
3. Packaging is in a brown sturdy paper bag just like a loot bag sealed with a Sample Room logo. I like that packaging is recyclable. The lipstick was wrapped in bubble wrap for additional protection.
4. Total value of my loot = Php 1,303.00 less my shipping cost of 100.00 less my VIP membership of 599.00. I saved Php 604.00 with this transaction. Great right? The more I transact within the 2-month period, the more I gain. Hmm, I’m liking this! Yippee!
The Low Side:
1. There was a bit of a snag with my VIP Membership when I can’t order my chosen items due to my 1000 points not crediting properly. But the operations team handled it all well for me that I never felt I had a bit to worry. They solved it within 30 minutes. So I guess this should not be on the low side after all.
2. The list of items are mostly out of stock. You have to snoop at the website every now and then. But I think if you are a VIP member, you receive an email of items they restock so you get first dibs if you act immediately. This is just on the low side for me because all the items I really want to try are all out of stock and I have no idea if it will be restocked soon.
Over-all, it was a good first transaction. I am road testing the BB cream and the CC lipstick. Hopefully I will like them enough to keep them in my stash. Thank you Sample Room for a great experience so far!